The season is short, so smell them, pick them and drink them as much as possible. This is a beautiful cordial that you dilute with water, tonic or mix a cocktail with.
You need the following
- About 30 Lilac flower panicles. The colour and flavour will come out darker and stronger if you have some darker flowers with lots of smell.
- 40 grams citric acid
- 1,5 kg granulated sugar
- 1,5 litre water
- 4 scrubbed sliced lemons
This is how you make a Lilac Cordial
- Boil water and mix with the granulated sugar until it is totally dissolved. Remove from heat and add the citric acid. Mix.
- Add the flower heads and then the sliced lemon on top in a heat proof jar or some other container.
- Pour the hot water mix over the lilacs and lemon and then let it all cool off. Leave for 3-4 days in a fridge.
- Use a mesh strainer to get rid of all the lilacs and lemons. Keep the syrup in a sterilized bottle in the fridge.
Enjoy! Dilute with water or use it in cocktails with some tonic.
Recipe and photo Malin Nordblom