My favorite cocktail in Shanghai is Basil Drops at Sichuan Citizen. There is some different ways to make it, you will find the different alternatives in the end. I hope you will like it as much as I do! The way they do it at Sichuan Citizen in Shanghai is that they use a blender and they strain the cocktail. I will give you three different ways to mix a Basil Drops Cocktail, see the notes in the end.
INGREDIENTS 1 BASIL DROPS, THE WAY THEY DO IT AT SICHUAN CITIZEN
- 5 cl vodka, I normally use Virtuous Vodka Blonde
- 5 cl lime Cordial (they use Watsons at Sichuan Citizen, I use Rose’s Lime Cordial when I’m in Sweden)
- a handful of basil leaves
- 3 cl sugar syrup
- Sugar for the rim
- 1 egg white (1 egg white is enough for 2-3 cocktails)
- Lime For the rim
- Ice cubes
- Add some caster sugar at a plate. Moisten the rim of the glas with the lime or lemon wedge, and then roll the rim of the glas in the caster sugar.
- Add all the ingredients and some ice cubes into a blender, mix.
- Strain the cocktail into the glas with a strainer into a martini glass!
SOME DIFFERENT WAYS TO MAKE THE BASIL DROPS COCKTAIL
- So you can skip the straining part if you want to keep the basil leaves in the cocktail, you get a even greener cocktail if you keep them. Just blend the cocktail even longer so that the leaves are in really small pieces.
- Some people don’t like egg in their cocktails, skip the egg part. It tastes delicious without too! And here you can either strain the cocktail into a glass, or blend it for a longer time so that the pieces are really small.
- Another version is than you add some coconut cream on top, instead of adding an egg white in the cocktail.
- You can also make a Non-Alcoholic version with adding 5 cl of water instead of vodka
- How to make sugar syrup;