You need the following for 8-10 lemon cupcakes
- Lemon zest from a clean scrubbed organic lemon
- 100 grams of butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 dl caster sugar
- 2.5 dl wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- muffin cups
- Heat the oven to 200 C, prepare the muffin molds in a muffin pan.
- Whisk butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and whisk well.
- Add vanilla sugar, the finely grated lemon zest, flour and baking powder and mix everything well.
- Add the freshly squeezed lemon juice, mix everything well!
- Fill the cupcake molds to two-thirds, bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Make sure that they are ready-baked by sticking a knife into the middle, it should come out clean!
- Remove from the oven and let them cool while you prepare the frosting.
- 250 grams of icing sugar
- 100 grams of room-warm butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- Zest from 2 lemons to decorate with (if desired)
- About 0.4 dl freshly squeezed lemon juice
This is how you make the frosting
- Mix butter, icing sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl. The butter must be soft or you will get vanilla sugar all over your kitchen.
- Add the lemon juice, a little at a time.
- Beat at high speed for about 5 minutes to get a nice and fluffy frosting. The longer the better. If it becomes too loose, add some more more icing sugar. And if it is too hard then more lemon juice.
- Decorate with some finely grated lemon zest.
- They are best to eat within two days, but last for a few days. Store in the refrigerator for longer than a day, and prepare for a while before serving!
Recipes and picture Malin Nordblom