I love the taste of lime, where the slightly sour meets the palate and you just want more. You can either use a piping bag for the lime frosting, or smear it with a spatula. I think it’s beautiful with a some grated lime zest on top of the cake, but it works just as well without. If you choose to decorate your lime cake with zest, grate it and sprinkle on top just before the lime cake is to be served.
Lime cake, ingredients
Recipe for 10-12 people
I used a 28 cm springform for the cake, but other sizes can also be baked in. Keep an eye on the cake, and test it in the middle with a test stick.
- Finely shredded zest of 1 clean scrubbed organic lime
- 150 grams of butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 dl caster sugar
- 4 dl wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime
- Breadcrumbs to the mold
- Preheat the oven to 200C, prepare the mold by rubbing it in with butter and pour the breadcrumbs allover so that the cake does not stick.
- Whisk together butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and beat well.
- Mix in vanilla sugar, the finely grated lime peel, flour and baking powder and mix everything well.
- Pour in the freshly pressed lime juice, and mix everything thoroughly!
- Fill the mold to two thirds, bake in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes. Feel with a test stick that it is ready-baked in the middle before you take it out.
- Remove and allow to cool while making the frosting.
- 500 grams of icing sugar
- 150 grams of room temperatured butter
- 3 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- Zest from 1 lime to decorate with (if you want)
- About 0.6 dl freshly pressed lime
Lime frosting instructions
- Mix butter, icing sugar and vanilla sugar in a bowl. Keep in mind that the butter must be soft otherwise you will get vanilla sugar everywhere. Whisk well!
- Add the lime juice, a little at a time.
- Whisk on high speed for about 5 minutes to get a nice and fluffy frosting. The longer the better. If it becomes too loose, pour in more icing sugar. And if it is too hard, add more lime.
- If you want, decorate with finely grated lime peel.
By Malin Nordblom