It’s a pie we often eat when we are eating crayfish or celebrating midsummer. In Sweden we use a cheese called Västerbottenost, but you can use any cheese you like. I prefer a tastier cheese.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CRUST:
125 g Butter
3 dl of wheat flour
2 tbsp water
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FILLING
300 gram grated cheese
2 dl cream
½ teaspoon salt
Some freshly grinded black pepper or some chilli flakes.
- Mix butter and flour into a grainy pulp with your hands.
- Add water and work quickly together to form a dough. You should just knead enough so that the dough holds together without cracks.
- Gently press the pie dough down into a pie plate so that it lines the bottom and sides of the pie plate. (Pie plate should be about 24 cm in diameter)
- Leave to stand for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Heat up the oven to 225 C.
- Bake the pie crust in the middle of the oven for about 10 minutes. You can fill with the crust with pie weights (dried beans or dry rice work well too!) To make the crust stay down in the bottom.
- Whisk eggs, milk, cream and salt. Add the cheese and pour the mixture into the pie shell.
- Bake in the middle of the oven 25-30 min.
Let the pie cool slightly before serving the pie.
By Malin Nordblom
Fab Foodie Swede