The almond paste we use for baking in Sweden is a bit different to the ordinary marzipan. It has some more almonds in it. And we use it frequently when we bake. Marzipan has a higher sugar content and I think this is nicer to use for baking. In Sweden I can buy a ready made one, but as I lived abroad a lot this was my saviour. Or just when I don’t have it at home and I get a feeling for baking with almond paste.
INGREDIENTS Almond paste
- 200 gram blanched almonds (1,5 cups)
- 200 gram Icing sugar (confectioners) 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 egg white
- Add the almonds into your food processor, and mix until they are finely ground.
- Add the egg white and the icing sugar and mix to form a paste.
- You can keep the almond paste in the fridge for 2-3 days in the fridge.
You can add some cognac, a touch of coffee, food colouring, lemon or orange peel or something else that you fancy to the paste if you like. Add a little piece first and then you can taste if you want to do more of it!
Recipe and photo Malin Nordblom
Fab Foodie Swede
If you wan’t to use the content or photos please contact: