Or The English name, Kung Pao Chicken. Kung Pao Chicken is one of my favourite dishes from China, and when you cook it make a lot, because it is hard to stop eating;)
It’s a Sichuan dish. The name comes from Ding Baozhen that was called Kung Pao. He used to serve this dish, and people started to call the dish after him.
- 6-700 grams of chicken breasts, or legs. Cut into small cubes.
- 2,2 dl (1 cup) of fried peanuts
- 4 spring onions thinky sliced
- 1 tblsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 8 dried chilli peppers ( or as many as you want, it’s according to your taste. And do deseed them if you wan’t a less spicy dish!
- Cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons Sichuan pepper
- A pinch of salt
If you are using Sichuan peppercorn powder, add it along with the deep-fried peanuts.
When frying the Sichuan peppercorn, use low heat and be patient. Over-fried Sichuan peppercorn brings a bitter taste!! Ok?!?
- a small pinch of salt
- 4 tsp. dark soy sauce (for coloring)
- 2 tbsp. Rice wine
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
The Mixed Sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- a small pinch of salt (around 1/2 tsp.)
- 4 tsp.cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar, or use some Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3-4 teaspoons of sugar
- Mix the marinade.
- Cut the chicken into little square bits and add with the marinade.
- Slice the spring onion and garlic into thin slices, and finely chop the ginger. Set aside.
- Mix the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in the wok until hot, add the chicken cubes. Fry until all of the chicken cubes begin to change color.
- Transfer the chicken cubes to a plate for a while. Add Sichuan peppercorn and dried chili pepper, and fry until aromatic. Add the garlic, ginger and half of the scallions. Quickly fry to mix well.
- Add the chicken again.
- Stir the sauce, and then pour it in and mix with the chicken in the wok.
- Fry until the sauce is well coated. Mix with the remaining spring onion and fried peanuts. Finished!
Serve with rice.
By Malin Nordblom
Instagram @fabfoodieswede Give me a follow!