Most people have some leftover bread, so why not make some breadcrumbs out of them. Perfect for when you bake, make meatballs, as a crunchy coating or all other things they are good for. And making them yourself, you can make them in any size you like.
Preheat the oven to 125 c (250F), or use the after heat when you cooked something else in the oven.
- Slice the bread into pieces and spread out into a single layer over a baking sheet.
- Bake the bread crumbs in the preheated oven and stir every five minutes. It takes between 10 to 20 minutes until they are all dry. Try to use the same kind of bread as time vary depending on the bread.
- When done, let the crumbs cool down. This is important as cooling will let all the steam evaporate!
- Place all the cooled bread pieces into a food processor and pulse until the desired size is reached. If you don’t have a mixer, place the bread pieces in a bag a use a rolling pin to crush the bread with.
- Store in a sealed glass jar, or keep in the freezer. You can store them for about 1 month in a glass jar or 2-3 months in the freezer.
You can use frozen bread for this, just make sure you have defrosted it completely first.
Text and photo Malin Nordblom